Monday, March 23, 2020

MY FAVOURITE PRODUCTS TO CLEAR AND COVER BREAKOUTS

I was not blessed with clear skin. Even people who do have that blessing get breakouts now and then but when I say I'm breaking out, I don't mean I got one, cute little spot because I'm on my period. I have struggled with my skin for as long as I can remember, if you want to know more about that journey, I did a blog post last year about what I went through to get my skin to where it is today.

(Peter DeVito - #AcneIsNorma)

So, currently I'm breaking out due to stress; thinking about assignments and now covid-19 is kicking about and my skin is showing some signs of wear. I tend to break out around my chin and my temples, not sure why there but, I get huge, under the skin spots that tend to make a home on my face for about a month and then leave me a souvenir scar so I can always remember they were there. This is just a long-winded way of saying that when I get breakouts, I sometimes like to cover them up so I feel better about myself.

Obviously I'm not saying that you must cover up breakouts, I don't normally because I'm often too lazy and in the end breakouts are natural and it's not exactly a scandal if they're on show. But sometimes, you want to look a little glam or you just want to cover them up for yourself, and that's fine! Girls are often ridiculed no matter what we do, too much make up, not enough make up, blah blah blah - do what you want, no one really cares that much.

Anyway, after that long intro, I'm going to talk about the make-up products I use to cover up my blemishes and redness and I've also thrown in some skin care products that I think have really improved my skin and helped to clear up my beloved spots. Head over to my IGTV if you want to see my go to routine!


Primer


To prime my face I use the BECCA First light Priming Filter. I haven't heard many people talking about this primer and the only reason I even bought it was solely because I found a pack of two BECCA primers in TKMAXX for £5 and this was one of them. The First Light Primer has a purple tint to it which neutralises redness but this isn't it's built-for purpose. The primer gives you a dewy glow which is just beautiful, on it's own it looks gorgeous and when used under foundation the natural glow it gives off makes your skin look really nice and healthy. The ingredients in this primer are also wonderful for your skin, 'pear flower, hyaluronic acid and ginger' re-energise skin, help the skin retain moisture and give a healthy plumping effect. All around a lovely product that I enjoy greatly!


Foundation


To create my blank canvas and cover everything that I desire to, I use my absolute favourite foundation, the CYO Lifeproof foundation and mix it with EX1 Invisiwear liquid foundation. Now, I hate the EX1 foundation on it's own, the formula is streaky and just plain weird, BUT when mixed with the CYO foundation, which I love, the two match my skin tone perfectly and create a great level of coverage. This foundation combo gives a lovely dewy finish and it hasn't let me down yet. I use a flat foundation brush to mix the two foundations on my face and then use my real techniques complexion sponge to blend the foundation out. 


Concealer 


To conceal under my eyes and around some dark blemishes and acne scars I use the ELF Camouflage Concealer. I've used this concealer for a couple months now and I can't see myself using anything different. The coverage and finish are just beautiful and, even though it dries down very quickly, blends out super easily.


Contour 


Before I set my face, I use the Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer in a colour a couple shades darker than my skin tone to bronze/contour the areas I wish to look slimmer. I place the concealer underneath my cheekbones, the sides of my nose, under my bottom lip and across my forehead and blend the concealer out first with a small buffing brush and then my real techniques complexion sponge. I don't know if I actually use this to contour as it doesn't really 'chisel' my cheekbones but it definitely does bring some colour and life back into my skin after using such a high coverage foundation.


Powder


To set everything in place before going in with powder bronzer and blush, I use the CYO All Set Fixing Powder. I've tried not setting my face with powder before as I have quite dry skin but this leads to my powder bronzer and blush looking patchy as it clings to certain areas of my foundation. I used to set my face using this powder and my sponge, but recently I've been using a very dense, flat powder brush to set my face as I find it gives more coverage and a smoother finish.

Bronzer - again


To bring back some colour to my face, I use the NYX Highlight and Contour Pro Palette and just bronze around the usual areas with a medium sized, fluffy, angled powder brush. I don't swipe or drag the brush against my face but instead stipple the powder to blend it out, this ensures the foundation and concealer underneath the bronzer isn't disturbed. 


Blush


The Make Up Obsession Isn't It Peachy Blush Palette has and always will be my favourite blush palette, all the shades in the palette are just gorgeous and the formula is buttery and blends out beautifully. For this dewy look, I used the shimmery blush which gave a beautiful sheen, that looks especially beautiful in the photo above. I use the same brush to apply my blusher as I use for my bronzer, and again I stipple the product on instead of dragging anything across my skin.


Setting Spray


To finish the make up look off and set everything in place, I use the I Heart Revolution Green Tea Setting Spray. I don't think this setting spray is any better than another but it smells nice and stops my face looking powdery - plus it's cost effective.


Spot Concealing


If I have a particularly large spot, or a blemish that doesn't want to be covered, I will use my BodyShop star stamp liner or a rhinestone or sticker of some sort to just cover the spot. This always looks super cute and always covers a stubborn spot.

(Peter DeVito - #AcneIsNormal)


As well as covering imperfections, we do want to try and get rid of the root problem. I've got a couple of products which I think have actually helped reduce my breakouts and make my skin look fresh and glow-y.

The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution


This product is just plain cool. The red liquid really makes it look like you're dripping blood on your face and even better, the product actually works. I use this solution 2-3 times a week, as recommended, but instead of using this as a mask across my entire face, I only put it on the areas which I feel need it. I will say that if your skin is super sensitive, maybe don't use this. I never put the mask on my forehead as my skin there is so dry and gets irritated by the solution.

The product exfoliates the skin, removing dead skin cells and encouraging skin cell rejuvenation - this is what gives your skin that fresh, glowing look and also helps to heal imperfections. Do remember to be careful with this product as the chemical percentage is very high, read and follow the instructions! 


Neutrogena Clear and Soothe Moisturiser


I use this moisturiser everyday and I love it. The gel formula isn't greasy feeling and because there are no oils in the moisturiser, it keeps your skin looking clean and fresh whilst also being super hydrating. The product is full of antioxidants to soothe irritated skin, reduce blemishes and the presence of turmeric helps balance out the appearance of redness. For £5.99 you can't really go wrong. I'll definitely be trying the rest of the 'clear and soothe' products from neutrogena so let me know if you want to hear my thoughts!

(Peter DeVito - #AcneIsNormal)

As much as we all wish for clear skin, perfection does not exist. Blemishes are a part of life, there's no easy fix to get 'perfect' skin but there are some product which can help us clear and cover our imperfections if we wish. These products worked, and continue to work, wonders for me and I wanted to share them to those looking for something similar! 

There are a bunch of skin care products I've seen and would love to try, such as BeautyBay's new range and also those blemish stickers that I think are very gimmicky but you never know. I hope you're all staying safe out there, have a lovely week and let me know if you're interested in seeing more posts like this one! 


Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© listen to me baby | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig