Wednesday, November 28, 2018

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL MUSIC SCENE

I come from a smallish town called Northampton which is situated in the middle of England where people assume not much happens, but whilst I was living there I was out pretty much every weekend seeing one band or another. Most of the time I was off supporting the bands my friends had created and through this I met loads of other musicians and music fans just like me. It sounds cheesy but I wouldn't know half the people I do today if I hadn't gone and seen local bands in local venues.

(Demidow Photography aka the coolest lady ever, 'Grynn' based in Northampton)

Northampton had a pretty tight music scene, it was impossible to go to a gig and meet someone you hadn't already bumped into at a different show. Maybe this was because there was roughly 3 different tiny little venues where these events would be held, but it created a community of people who had a mutual respect for each other. Yeah, maybe we didn't all see each other outside of shows but I knew if I wanted to turn up to a gig by myself I would always find someone there that would talk to me. A couple years after I joined the music scene I noticed some changes, people started to care less and less about the shows and less people started turning up to gigs. A lot of the time people would turn up to watch their friends band and then leave after they've played, for me this is the shittiest thing you could do. I can't count the amount of times the venue's half empty after the support, it's plain rude.

Going to local gigs is one of the cheapest ways of having a night out, you get to listen to music and have a dance and most of the time the tickets aren't more than a fiver. Most of the time bands aren't looking to make a load of money, they just want people to hear their music, so they keep entry fees low and chose venues they know are easy to get to and where the drinks aren't too expensive. Even if you don't know what the band sounds like or who they are, finding new music is never a bad thing, even if you don't like it, you know that now at least.

The main reason supporting your scene is so important is for the artist. Local artists need these local shows to give them the support and momentum to get bigger shows in bigger cities. No artist gets songs together and goes straight on a world tour, even Ed Sheeran played in his hometown pubs before getting recognised. If you need more of a reason to see these shows, people love to gain bragging rights by seeing an artist before they got big. It's also just nice to see people you know doing something they love. Some of my favourite bands are bands I know from my hometown, and they're also some of my best friends which is the best thing ever.

Expanding on making friends in the music scene, simply bands support bands. If you, like me, are in the music industry in any way, having friends who are already in the industry will want to support you if you've supported them. Getting a job through contacts you've found or contacts people you know have made is way easier than just throwing yourself at people who have never heard from you. If you want to start a band and you already know a tonne of musicians from local gigs you've been to is going to be more simple than trying to find stranger online to play music with. If you need someone to open a show for you, already knowing bands in the local area makes the job a whole lot easier.

Another absolutely VITAL part of the local music scene is the local venues. Without these venues there won't be any music scene at all, no one comes to the shows, no business for the venues, venues shut, no shows at all. Local music venues are already under attack from local councils and 35% of independent music venues in the UK have been shut down in the past decade for various reasons, so the ones that are still open need supporting. With big chain pubs and bars taking over from independent venues and pubs they're already struggling but the musicians and music fans need these safe spaces to perform their art to the people who want to watch.

Basically don't be a dick, support your friends.


Share:

1 comment

© listen to me baby | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig