Tuesday, August 6, 2019

BLACK SMOKEY EYESHADOW LOOK


I really wanted to try something new with my makeup and as someone who rarely wears eyeshadow I thought I'd chuck myself in the deep end and try a black smokey eye. Maybe it turned out a little uneven and imperfect but when I was watching tutorials on how to do this everyone kept saying things like "it doesn't have to be neat" and "I prefer it when everything looks a little messy" so I just went with that. This definitely isn't a tutorial but more of an example that changing up your makeup and trying new styles that you may think won't suit you can actually end well. I thought I'd look like I had been sucker punched in the face but I ended up feeling really bad-ass and powerful.


I only used the 'Revolution Velvet Mattes Pigment Palette' to achieve this eye look which luckily had all the shades I thought I would need. I started by concealing my eyelids and setting them with some white eyeshadow, I don't ever do my eyes first so this felt a little unnatural but I didn't want to ruin my foundation by getting black fallout everywhere. I then went in with a neutral, light brown colour in my crease to start creating a 'seamless' edge(I use quotations when I say 'seamless' because it definitely wasn't seamless), I believe this is the 'transition' shade? I then decided to use tape because I had no idea what I was doing and maybe tape would help.

I used a clean fluffier brush to buff out the edges even more before applying a darker brown shade to deepen the crease. I think this brown shade created a really nice look towards the outer edges of my eyes but in hindsight I would have used a much warmer, orangey brown shade instead of this ashy colour - like the one I applied to my bottom lashes. Now it was time to apply the black shadow, I used a really small and dense brush to try and keep the black from going up to high before applying it all over the lid with a flat shadow brush and blending it a little bit into the crease. I didn't want to mess with my eyeshadow anymore because I tend to do this thing where something looks decent and then I think I can improve it but always make it look a lot worse so I refrained from 'fixing' any little mistakes this time. Side note - removing the tape was very satisfying and I really liked the sharp edge left behind.

I used the 'Wet N Wild Photo Focus Foundation', yes the one I have said previously that I didn't like at all but now I've changed my mind - I'm very indecisive. My skin make up is pretty simple, currently I enjoy my freckles showing through my foundation so I've been using less foundation and concealer to give a slightly more sheer and natural look. I really like the 'C.Y.O Loose Powder' as it gives the perfect amount of colour without turning my orange and sets everything in place without it looking super powdery.

Then I finished off the eyes by adding a terracotta shade and a little of the black shadow on my lower lash line and tight-lining my top lash line before adding a generous amount of mascara. I used the 'Collection Bronze Glow Bronzer' to bring some colour back to my face and keeping with the smokey/bronzey look I used this GORGEOUS blusher from Make Up Obsession's 'Isn't It Peachy Palette" in 'hint' which is so orangey and I think the perfect colour to compliment my dark smokey eyes.

To highlight I used The Balm's 'Luminizer'. This is where I realised I hadn't done my eyebrows so I had a little break to calm myself down before then forgetting to film it but oh well, I just used the dark brows shade from the Revolution Palette I used before. I tried out a couple of different lip shades, either being too pink toned or too dark so I settled with a neutral brown shade and I used my finger to sheer it out a little bit. For some reason I keep sucking my lips in throughout the whole video and now I'm very self conscious of my concentration face.

Anyway, I hope you may get some inspiration or confidence from watching me try to do a smokey eye and give it a try yourself. I want to try and do thee same steps to create more colourful eye looks so maybe I could do some monochromatic make up and outfit looks - I keep seeing them on instagram and everyone looks SO good I want to try it too!

Go give 'Baddreams' some love for letting me use their debut single over this video! Spotify link here - https://open.spotify.com/track/22uiS4gE4ucXGSYXmcuBoT?si=AJx_BYt7Sba91hg-H7Psrw
Or watch their music video here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWoceUuYogg
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© listen to me baby | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig