Tuesday, April 23, 2019

MY BANK HOLIDAY WEEKEND - SUMMER EVENINGS AND OUTFITS

We all love a nice long weekend and lucky for us this years bank holiday weekend happened to fall on the loveliest and hottest weekend we've had for a while. The weather was absolutely lush so that not only meant the start of my summer wardrobe but the start of long summer days and evenings spent in the pub garden with great company, what more can you ask for? For this post I thought I'd try something a little different, I've been wanting to incorporate some fashion and styling content onto my blog but wasn't 100% sure on how I wanted to do it but I tried my hardest to create something I liked and thought others might too. I'll be honest and say I got very confused trying to sort out the formatting for these videos but I hope it's not too bad!

(GypsyRose midi dress from TKMAXX, Dr Martens boots, Denim Jacket second hand DIY, Snakeskin handbag second hand)

On Good Friday I had plans to do some Uni work but as soon as I woke up and saw the sun I scrapped that idea pretty quickly. My boyfriend already had plans to go record some new music with his band so I was left to my own devices, we hadn't yet gone exploring much of the park life in Birmingham so I wasn't 100% sure where I was going to spend my day. I ultimately chose to stick with the safe option of the little park virtually opposite our flat blocks, not the prettiest park but it was sunny so I was happy. Whilst at the park, as well as dog watching, I read a couple articles from my latest magazine purchase 'Gusher'. I love this magazine, the articles are exclusively written by women and about women, the magazine is the most aesthetically pleasing I have ever seen, the pages are bright and colourful and the writing is interesting and fresh. I sat in the sun for a good couple of hours before walking into the town centre and stopping off to pick up a new book after finding an old Waterstones gift card in the bottom of my bag.

On my way home I made a detour to go check in on my boyfriend mainly because I needed a break from walking, Doc Martens on a hot day aren't the best choice, my feet were boiling. It was seven pm and the sun was still glaring down, the weather was still hot and I was confused. When the evenings staying so light and warm like this I tend not to get hungry and have dinner till much later but I read somewhere that you shouldn't eat something like 4 hours before going to bed, I think the way to make dinners more summery in a sense is to swap chips for baby potatoes and salad, almost making it more like a lunch. I've currently been loving the Birdseye chicken chargrills because they cook in literally ten minutes and it makes it look like you've actually grilled fresh chicken breast so I feel a bit fancier.

(Next midi skirt, Topshop black bandeau top, ASOS platform sandals, second hand mini black backpack, Primark belt.)

On Easter Saturday I again ventured into the town centre, I chose to wear sandals after my feet over heating in my docs the previous day but again my shoe choice was a mistake, my feet were cut to shreds after just the walk into town. I'm so upset because these sandals are so incredibly cute and I love them but they literally broke my feet and have left me with scars, I'm not sure why they did this as they've never rubbed before at all so I'm a little stumped, I'll probably still wear them as they're cute as hell but I'll just have to be sure not to walk to far. After my sandal mishap I thought it best to buy some new sandals that, fingers crossed, wouldn't hurt me, so I bought some lovely sandals from TopShop that have foam lining.

On the way back from town obviously we had to stop at our local pub, The Ruin in Digbeth, drinking in the sun is too easy I could've sat in there for hours upon hours and wouldn't have got bored. Sitting in the sunshine with good friends and good drinks is just the perfect summers day, so simple but not always budget friendly for us students. On Saturday evening my mum came up to visit and stay over to spend Easter Sunday with me and my boyfriend, this came at a handy time as I needed a bigger car for an IKEA trip I had been planning anyway. My mum kindly took me to IKEA to pick up my new mirror (which you can see in the outfit photos) which I have been eyeing up for a while, I wanted a decent size, full length mirror to add some fashion content onto my blog but the mirror would never have fit in the Fiat Panda in a million years. Whilst also at IKEA I grabbed one of their V shaped pillows which has been maybe the best idea of my life, I'm pretty sure these pillows are meant for pregnant women but I cannot explain how much this pillow has helped my sleeping, I often struggle to get comfortable when I'm going to sleep but this pillow has helped tremendously and I would 100% recommend to everyone, it's literally £7!

(BooHoo bodysuit, Forever 21 dress, TopShop sandals, second hand mini backpack)

Easter Sunday was the most chill day of my bank holiday weekend, my mum and sister came to visit so we went for a stroll in the sun and ended up at a random pub in the town centre to have out Easter lunch. The selection wasn't great so I had the chicken roast dinner, the food looked great but the bones in my chicken made me feel awful so I couldn't bring myself to eat any of it but I did have a very fancy gin. My family hadn't had the opportunity to see the area in which I live yet so they got a little tour of Digbeth and of course we ended up in the pub again. I was struggling a little as I was so worn out by the heat especially after my last two days had been full of walking a late nights so I had a little nap and finished my day by watching nearly the whole first season of 'Your face of mine" on NowTV. It was nice to spend time with my family but Easter has never been a massive deal to me, the long weekend is lovely but Easter Sunday is just a day where there's not much to do and everything is closed so not a great day to explore Birmingham, the day after though is the day to go buy discounted chocolate so I won't complain.

(Boohoo mini skirt, Primark cami top, second hand oversized shirt, TopShop sandals, second hand mini backpack.)

Bank holiday Monday was beautiful and I had the loveliest day. In the morning I combated my sandal problem by creating my very own sandal socks, I can't say I'm the first person to create this amazing invention but they made my feet very happy. I very creatively cut the toe part off a pair of socks and then also cut just before the heel to create almost a bandage around the part of my foot that was being destroyed by the sandals rubbing and voila! sandal socks. To be honest they don't look bad! I was expecting to look a tad odd but they weren't very noticeable and even if they did I would've kept them on to keep myself sane through the pain from the cuts on my feet. Since I was already on a DIY grind I decided to make one of my many pairs of jeans a little more summery but cropping them and fraying the hem, I thought this looked a lot less bulky than rolling them at the bottom especially when wearing them with sandals compared to my normal choice of doc martens. 

Again the weather was gorgeous so we set off to scout out a new place to bask in the sun, we ended up meeting a bunch of friends at Cannon Hill Park in Birmingham which is possibly the most beautiful park I've set foot in. The park is absolutely huge, there are flowers everywhere, a boating lake, vast spans of grass and even a mini golf course! The sunshine makes me want to have a BBQ but since I live in a flat with no garden or even a balcony we don't have that option but we did grab a selection of snacks on the way to the park and had a little picnic instead. We also bought a frisbee from PoundLand but surprise surprise it broke within a minute of us playing and my boyfriend cut open his finger so that ended our frisbee dreams quite quickly. The day was beautiful and we spent all afternoon just chatting in the sun and playing Irish snap which was violent but fun, the only thing better than spending time with good friends is doing so in the sun.

I really enjoy doing these type of blog posts where I just write about my experiences but do people actually want to read about what I do or would you rather have me write about a topic? I often struggle to choose what to write about but it seems like people who read my blog much prefer the beauty/lifestyle type of blogposts. I have some posts in the works, fashion and makeup related which I am excited about but would people actually read about these things when they can watch someone on YouTube do the same in a video? If you have an opinion or anything you would like to see me write about or do then please feel free to leave a comment or message me!
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© listen to me baby | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig