Monday, February 10, 2020

TRYING NEW MAKE UP - EX1 INVISIWEAR FOUNDATION

Today was a rare occasion where I had left myself a bunch of time to get ready, because of this I decided to try out some new products I had been hoarding and see what they were like. As always I was skeptical they wouldn't work because the beauty industry likes to exaggerate some (most) of the time, so today was a good day to try things out as I had time to take everything off if I ended up looking dreadful. 

If you want to hear my uneducated opinions on some new products then please keep reading! And if you don't want to read about it then you can simply head over to my IGTV and watch me struggle over there instead.  


I've had the Revolution colour book palette's for a while now but haven't gotten around to trying them out, there's so many different colours and it seemed a bit overwhelming to be honest, plus I never really have enough time to sit and play with make up recently. I fell in love with the idea of these 'Colour book' palettes when they first came out and I bought all the different colours because I'm indecisive and my student loan had just dropped so I was feeling boujie.

For this look,  I started with my eyes because I wanted to use loose glitter and inevitably I would get it everywhere and ruin my foundation. I used the 'Colour book' palette in shade CB02, which is full of both matte and shimmer bronze and brown shades, to create a really blown out, bronze smokey eye. 


(www.revolutionbeauty.com)

I really liked the palette, the pigment was great and the shadows blend out so easily. I used a bronze-y, orange shade all over my eyelid and blended it into a winged out shape before adding a golden shimmer shadow and a gold loose glitter on the middle of my lid. I was expecting the shadow formula to be quite powder-y and dry but they were all really creamy and lovely to use. I was super impressed that the shimmer shade showed up so well over the darker matte shadow on my lid as I didn't think you'd be able to see any shimmering going on there. I really hope that the other colour book palettes hold up to the standard this one has set because the other colours are gorgeous and I now have high standards. After mascara, to finish my eyes off I glued some tiny gems, that I think came with some nail kit I bought a while ago, to the inner corner of my eyes to add a little something extra. They were a lot smaller than I had hoped but it still looked cute so I guess it's ok. 

Now for the star of the show, the 'EX1 cosmetics Invisiwear foundation'. I have been seeing this foundation everywhere online, everywhere. I see adverts for it all the time and the algorithm clearly worked because I caved in and bought it. After seeing other people use this foundation, and seeing how much the adverts hype it up, I had extremely high hopes that this would cover everything  I need it too and make me look flawless. It sounded too good to be true and unfortunately for me, it was. 


(www.ex1cosmetics.com)

My first impression was great, while dotting it around my face I loved the undertones of the colour I picked and it matched me perfectly, the EX1 foundation is meant for neutral/olive skin tones which now I think I am, maybe. The website said that this foundation applied better with a brush, I never use brushes to apply my foundation but I tried to use one this time and unsurprisingly, I hated it. It took so long to buff out the product, I do not have that kind of time on my hands and after buffing for a while it still looked like a streaky mess, so I switched over to my sponge. After using my sponge it looked okay but the coverage was so sheer and I'd already used nearly double of the amount of my normal foundation. I had to apply even more to get enough coverage and even out my complexion but the foundation just wasn't looking very nice, you could still see some of my redness and it felt very dry on my skin. I will say that the foundation didn't look cake-y at all which is impressive as I had to use so much of it, and after I'd applied my concealer it looked pretty fine. 

After wearing it out for about 6 hours nothing had wiped away or separated at all and it almost looked better than when I had first applied it? Nothing had settled into my skin or gotten oily at all so it was okay but there's just something about it that I'm not liking. I have since used this foundation one more time and it looked SO bad that I had to take all my makeup off and start again with a different foundation. The EX1 foundation was so drying and it seemed to almost create texture under the skin that wasn't there on my bare face, literally baffled mate. I will try this out some more and see how I feel about it but so far I'm not having a good experience. 

To bronze up my face I wanted to try a technique I saw LinaBugz share on her YouTube to keep coverage whilst cream contouring. I've been enjoying using cream products lately as my skin is quite dry but I find that cream bronzer sticks tend to take away some foundation and at the moment all my skin troubles are in the areas I normally bronze so I need that coverage. I bought a cool toned concealer a few shades darker than my skin tone and used a small amount in the areas I normally bronze. I ended up having no choice but to buy the Collection lasting perfection concealer as it was the only cool toned shade I could find in the shops - the shade ranges of most brands is absolutely appalling, not anything we all didn't already know but like come on guys. Anyway, the formula of this concealer is horrible, it wasn't creamy at all and I found it so hard to blend out, even with a super damp sponge, so everything ended up looking a little muddy and patchy as hell. 

The idea behind this hack is great but I just didn't execute it well, most of my acne scarring and breakout is on my cheeks so the idea of bronzer giving extra coverage is great. I tried to use some powder bronzer over top of the cream to see if it would fix anything but nothing really happened. In the end it didn't look bad enough to warrant starting all over again so I just sucked it up and carried on. To be fair, I did forget that I wanted to do cream bronzer and added a little bit of powder before cream contouring which could've been why it didn't blend out too well, thinking about it that's definitely why it didn't look good - I should try this again and do it properly next time.

Once all the was all on my face, I didn't mind how I looked. Make up is a process and it always looks slightly odd until it's all done. This look wasn't my best but I was going to a gig where it'd be dark so no one would see if my foundation was a little dry or that my bronzer was patchy, even if it was, I don't think anyone would care anyway. 

I'm always wanting to try new makeup products so it doesn't get boring to do but I hate the idea of buying something and then not liking it - wasting money makes me incredibly nervous. If anyone has any products they love that you think I might like, let me know! There's so much make up out there it's impossible to choose one thing.

Also, I changed my blog branding - I guess that's what you call it - this week! I'd love to know if this header is any better than my last or if I've just made it worse, let me know!
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© listen to me baby | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig