Monday, February 24, 2020

WEEK IN MY LIFE - HOT CHOCOLATES AND CHARITY SHOPS

 (didn't notice how choppy my fringe is until now whoops)

Through out this blog post you will notice I drank a lot of hot chocolate this week, I'm not sure why or how this happened but it did. I don't normally drink this much hot chocolate but when I'm with my mum, we always end up going to nearly every cafe we walk past to get a hot chocolate - we just like hot chocolate. 

This week was a tad different to my normal weeks so I thought it was a good week to do a 'week in my life' just so it's more interesting than me doing nothing but work and stressing about university assignments.

Monday



I started my week by going out for a wonderful breakfast date at The Social in Digbeth, where I had a simple sausage and hash brown sandwich (the hash browns were just perfect - the photo doesn't do it justice) and my boyfriend had a full english - I also had a delicious hot chocolate that started off my week long hot chocolate cravings. As well as the food being delicious, the interior of The Social was just gorgeous. I loved the industrial vibe and eclectic decor, the huge windows let the sun shine in and created the perfect environment in which to start my day. For my breakfast and drink I only paid £6.50 which is such a bargain, I will now struggle to walk past The Social everyday on my way to and from University without going in.

After my breakfast, I waddled into town with my full belly with the intention to scout of some sustainable fashion/food businesses that I wanted to write about for a couple of articles I need to do for my work placement (that I start on Wednesday!!). I wanted to wow the company with some cool ideas but this backfired on me and literally EVERYWHERE I wanted to go was closed on Mondays, and Mondays only - of course I couldn't have checked this online before I walked there but oh well. To cheer my sorry ass up, I had a mooch around the charity shops and bought a brand new Urban Outfitters top (that still had the tags on it!!) for £6 and a super cute Dior make up bag for only £4! This cheered me up a bit but I still felt bad as I slowly moped home, so I cuddled up in my blanket and watched Grease Live on Netflix whilst eating a bunch of chocolate. The day wasn't salvaged after my boyfriend cheered me up with a load of those gummy pizza sweets that I love. 

Tuesday


Tuesday is my full day at university which isn't the most interesting thing to talk about unless you want to hear about music history and research methods. I also had a pretty disappointing hot chocolate from the drinks machine so that was a waste of 25p and I had to walk home in the rain with no umbrella - so I wasn't in the best of moods when I got home. 

To remedy my bad mood I had a steamy shower, lit a candle and used The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution face mask whilst I listened to the Boy Genius album. I use this face mask twice a week and it always makes my skin super soft and glow-y. I also tried out some new hair products after my shower, I used the 'Got2b volumanic mouse' and the 'VO5 volume blow dry spray', my hair is quite fine so I'm always on the look out for anything that's going to give me some more volume. I really liked both of these products and they definitely gave me a tonne of volume, the spray made my hair look SO shiny and healthy and the mouse smells delicious and made my hair feel thick and luscious - this little pamper definitely elevated my mood.

Wednesday


Wednesday was a really exciting day for me because I was starting my work placement at BABMAG. Wednesday's are my early start anyway, I have a lecture 9 -10.30 but this morning I woke up a little earlier than usual so I could look a little more presentable as I normally turn up to university looking a little worse for wear this time in the morning. 

I had a great first meeting with BABMAG and we planned some really interesting articles for the magazine that I'm super excited to write so you should definitely keep an eye out for them over on their website! I got to work on some writing as soon as I got home and had planned to carry on working throughout my evening whilst I drank a load of tea and ate a load of biscuits. Almost perfectly timed, as I finished writing I got an invite to some evening plans and a bunch of us ended up going down to MaMa Roux's to have some drinks and watch some bands, so it was a lovely way to end a good work day. 

Thursday


On Thursday I stayed inside all day to do a bunch of writing as I normally do each week. This didn't quite go to plan as I decided to put Netflix on for some background noise and ended up watching 6 consecutive hours of 'Mind Hunter' after a friend recommended the show to me. If you're into true crime or anything like that, this show is amazing! So that's literally all I did all day, which isn't great for work but the show was definitely worth the binge.

Friday


On Friday I had two uni lectures before I headed to the train station so I could spend the weekend with my parents. On the train I wrote some blog material for the up-coming week and moaned about how busy the train was. Trains always make me feel so tired and cranky so I bought my 3rd hot chocolate of the week and the guy at Starbucks very nearly cheered me up a little with his barista-costumer small talk.

On the way home I popped into my parents antique shop, The Old Bakehouse Antique Centre, and couldn't resist buying a couple of things. Birmingham city centre has a noticeable lack of antique shops which is fine but it means when I go back home I'm allowed to splurge a little.

(trinkets from The Old Bakehouse Antique Centre, Northampton)

I also went for a lovely meal with my parents, my dad accidentally ate a whole slice of butter thinking it was cheese which will now be a life-long family joke and I had a fancy steak because I wasn't paying for the food so decided to indulge. I was excited by the 'cookie and ice cream' desert but when it arrived the cookie was not warm and the cookie to ice cream ratio was all out of whack but still it was okay.

Saturday


Saturday was wonderful. I hadn't seen my mum since new years and our last planned visit had to be cancelled because of the badly named Storm Dennis. We started off our day out as we do all of them, at Costa for hot chocolate and some breakfast, and then we drove to Market Harborough. Market Harborough is a small town near my hometown that is known for being a little more upmarket, the houses up there are pricey and the people who live there have a bit more money than me and my parents at least. The sole reason me and my mum go up there is for the charity shops. There are a bunch of charity shops in Market Harborough's town centre and there is always great stuff in all of them, the theory is that they're richer so therefore donate better stuff for us to buy. The charity shops didn't fail me today and me and my mum found a bunch of amazing clothes and trinkets to take home with us - I even bought a £3 suitcase so I could get it all back to Birmingham on the train. 

The best place we found is called 'The Attic Dress Agency', we'd never seen this shop before and mainly went in to shelter from the rain but I ended up finding two absolutely gorgeous coats and a NastyGal dress with the tags still on it! The Attic is a second hand clothing store and everything in there is beautiful, they stock high street and designer brands and the prices were so reasonable I could have bought everything in there. I ended up purchasing this Mango blazer style jacket (£27) and an amazing black, shaggy fur coat (16) which is lined with what can only be described as dressing gown material -and who isn't always looking for ways to wear a dressing gown outside?


To finish off my evening, I sat down with a Chinese and watched crappy TV before falling asleep. I also tried to pack my suitcase but ended up having to use an extra bag so I could actually get my shopping haul home.

Sunday


My week ended with me holding a baby for the first time ever in my whole life. In my 20 years I have never had the confidence to hold a baby because they are fragile and I am prone to dropping things but I didn't drop this baby and I had a lovely time looking at her tiny face. I also had a pleasant train journey home and stopped an old lady falling over when the train broke suddenly - all around a great day.

Even though I didn't get as much work done this week as I would've liked, I had a really great time. I missed my parents a bunch so seeing them was lovely and I've had enough hot chocolate to satisfy me for a while. I might do a charity shop haul but I don't know if that's something anyone would be interested in? If you would, let me know! 

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© listen to me baby | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig